Explore new nuances with your existing colour palette, sharpen your colour contrasts, develop your colour deepening skills through colour layering, graduating and texturing. Let your colour genie out!
The Black and White (and Grey) Challenge
Liberate yourself and remove colour from your work in order to focus on other elements of Design such as line, form and grey tonal values.
The Extruder Challenge
Experience the extruder’s versatility and show us novel ways of using it!
The 2-D Composition Challenge
What will make your flat compositions come to life? Will it be interlocking shapes, novel cane patterns, unusual textures?
The 3D Composition Challenge
Feel and fill the space, try your hand at sculpture or take on the challenge of creating dimensionality by bringing together contrasting volumes and forms.
The Hands On Challenges invite you to make a piece that you will have conceived and planned in advance of the Conference but which you will remake at the Conference. After the Challenge, you will be invited to share your results with other participants and also discuss informally how this Challenge helped you learn and grow. The work made during the Challenges will be on display, and, at the end of the Conference, prior to the Gala Dinner, the results will be highlighted and discussed,
There are five challenges:
– Black and White
– Using the Extruder
– 2D Composition
– 3D Composition
A way of approaching the Challenges is to think of them as a way to work on a skill that you’ll like to develop further – this would be a weakness you’d like to overcome or a strength which you’d like to “up the ante”.
We will create a Facebook page to help you prepare and the clay of your choice will be provided at the Conference. Wow!
No matter how much or how little experienced you are, participate in the Challenges with a friend! Make it fun and uncork your creativity!
– Plan a project prior to the Conference
– Recreate the project and all of its parts during the Conference at the selected Design Challenge
– You have 90 minutes to complete your piece
– If you enter in collaboration with another artist, you can produce either a joint or individual project
– The clay will be donated and provided at the Conference by the manufacturer you have selected at registration
– You are limited to the materials given. (ie. no pigments, inks, paint, are permitted)
– The project must not require baking as ovens won’t be provided during the Challenge
– Do not post your plan or planned pieces on social networks or websites prior to the Conference. Make it a surprise!
– You can use any tools of your choosing; just make sure you bring them along to the Challenge
– You’ll be given the three primary colours plus Black, White, Translucent and one metallic/pearl in your preferred brand for the Colour, Extruder, 2D and 3D Challenges
you will be given Black, White, Translucent, Silver and Pearl for the Black&White Challenge.